Below is a message from “Office of the Vice Chancellor for Development” University of Illinois at Chicago, which is an opportunity to thank the alumni and friends who donate money to UIC:
Every year the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Development hosts a donor-recognition reception and dinner to take place at the end of April. It is a Chancellor-level event attended by all University leadership and UIC’s most engaged and passionate alumni and friends.
As part of this event, we want to display these photos of students sharing messages of thanks with the audience. Our hope is to represent with these photos as closely as possible the diversity of UIC’s community.
Here’s how you can help… please share this message with your network and ask anyone who’s willing to participate to fill out the form at this link: https://uofi.uic.edu/sb/sec/274344. We’ll serve FREE PIZZA at both shoots! Everyone who registers will get a confirmation of specific locations once all the input is tallied.
Please pass it on to all your fellow students….!!
Attention UIC Graduate Students,
The news just came in
From University Hall
That UIC Grad Students
Are the most A-MAZING of all
March is the Month
The 9th is the week
A celebration we are having
Try not to shriek
We want to toast your accomplishments
And all that you do
You are the BEST of the BEST
We APPRECIATE YOU!
Mark your calendars for an exciting series of events, workshops and
programs *all for you*. The UIC Graduate College is excited to present the
*GRADUATE STUDENT APPRECIATION WEEK*
*March 9th – 13th 2015*
Make sure to RSVP for all sessions you would like to attend.
Please forward on to your colleagues and if you are so inclined please put
a flyer up in communal grad student spaces.
We hope to see you the week of March 9th!
Graduate College Website: http://grad.uic.edu <http://grad.uic.edu/cms/>
[image: Twitter icon] Follow us on Twitter @UICGradCollege
[image: Facebook icon] Follow us on Facebook UIC Graduate College
- Discussed fellowship issue within the Humanities department
- Advanced graduate students (6/7/8 years) are starting to hear they are getting their funding cut in some departments – be on alert if this applies to you!
- Discussed ongoing CUPPA troubles
- Went over steering committee election
- Voted for a new secretary
- New secretary will also be a part of GEO’s “Institutional Memory Committee,” which will be making note of how GEO runs to help future steering committees of GEO run smoothly
- Rauner and Budget Issues
- Overall, there is a problem with the way UIC handles is money as the outgoing Chancellor and President are getting a six figure bonus while the incoming Chancellor and President are getting up to a $100,000 salary increase
- TA/GA contract negotiations are crucial because the university DOES have money to give to its workers, the administration is simply refusing to do so
- The Board of Trustees are continuing to flourish their business model
- There is the possibility Rauner will put an end to Fair Share, which will highly impact union organizing
- Read more about this impending issues through a piece written by Amy Livingston, GEO Staff, on GEO’s blog at: http://uic-geo.net/mainsite/?p=1556
- Rauner is in the process of creating “Empowerment Zones” – localities where people can vote on their right to work and wants to create Public Sector Union rules
- Workers will be able to vote on and negotiate working assignments, rules, etc.
- Workers will not be able to vote on and negotiate wages, benefits, retirement benefits, and cannot go on strike
- Bargaining Committee Updates
- Continuing to go over Bargaining Survey data, drafting contracts, and researching other schools’ contracts to better our contract negotiation
- If you have not taken the survey, please do so with the link given! The goal is to get 750 completed surveys and so far, over 250 have been completed. More surveys need to be collected!
- On track to file intent to bargain on March 15th
- Current contract expires August 15th
- Can bargain as early as next day after filing intent, but probably will not happen until May
- Important for members to show up to bargaining meetings because you will be able to actively participate in the caucus and vote
- Important to have that outside perspective when creating a new contract
- The contract gets written in that room during bargaining, so active member participation is crucial
- With more member present, it puts pressure on administration to negotiate in our favor
- Important to push back against administration and let them know we will not give up anything
- United Faculty will be negotiating their contracts at the same time as well, so it will be a good solidarity boost
- Stewards/Organizing Update
- Basic Goals: Get more answers to surveys, get more card signers, more stewards, and increase general member meeting attendance
- Actions: Increase office visits and get involved in GEO caucuses as well
- Can always volunteer to be a steward for another department
- Remember: General member meetings are not just for department reps, but for all TA’s and GA’s!
- Next Stewards/Organizing Committee meeting will be next Wednesday, February 11th at 4pm, GEO Office (on Van Buren, next to Giordano’s)